SA Reefkeeping.com

Quick Search

Go Advanced

Member Login

Remember Me? Not registered? | Forgot Password

Register
Welcome

Nano Reef Discussions For everything nano reef related from general discussion through to members systems. This forum is for nano tanks which are 120litres and less.

Old 18-09-2008   #1
Alwyn

Boyu LT-450 - Skimmer stopped working

Hey guys,

Like the heading reads my skimmer in the Boyu LT-450 has stopped working When I opened the hood of the tank a few days ago no bubbles were being produced by the skimmer/intake-pump, I took the whole thing apart, disconnected the UV sterilizer that sits on top of the intake pump, the UV sterilizer has a airline tube connected to it that supplies the skimmer with air, to form the bubbles. See the (very simplistic) sketch of the back chamber of my BOYU LT-450:

I found that when I put my mouth over the end of the airline tubing and blow very lightly into it the skimmer produces bubbles for a few minutes, but I can hear it struggling, you can hear gargling sounds coming from the airline tubing...

The intake pump is still working, but what I think it might be is that the intake pump has stopped working to its full potential and is now struggling to pull air from the airline tubing into the skimmer... What do you guys think? Should I try and take the intake pump out and clean it? Maybe the impeller is starting to rust? Anyone had this issue before?
Old 18-09-2008   #2
Shan

Not too sure if it is the problem but i do know that people had their impeller rust and break on them
Old 18-09-2008   #3
X Faktor

Happened with me too....Its really really irritating. I am now just doing waterchanges and no skimmer in use...
Old 18-09-2008   #4
Alwyn

I read that in a post somewhere as well... If I disconnect the UV sterilizer and put my finger over the intake I can feel it pulling in water, so its definitely still working to some degree...
Old 18-09-2008   #5
Alwyn

I'm doing a 10liter water change every Monday so I think the skimming isn't 100% necessary, but I mean it still helps a bit...
Old 18-09-2008   #6
Shan

i got the nano cube - it has no skimmer - i do 10lts water change a week and all is fine for about a year now. On these small nano's, if you are not overstocked, you can easily get away without a skimmer but you need to do your waterchanges
Old 18-09-2008   #7
X Faktor

Jup-I go with Shan... 10 percent weekly and everything is fine!
Old 18-09-2008   #8
X Faktor

But I see what you mean Alwyn. Please post when you find out whats the problem so that I can fix mine as well at long last!!!
Old 18-09-2008   #9
Alwyn

Thanks for the replies guys!! Ag the back chambers in the BOYU makes up quite a big portion of the tank and I would ideally like the skimmer to work just to not waste that space... I know some people fill their chambers with LR rubble and that is also a option... I'll play around with it a bit, but I have a sneaky suspicion it is the pump itself... Will let you know XFactor
Old 18-09-2008   #10
glenholmes

Take the impeller out and clean it and the inside of the pump with a cloth wrapped around something. You will find that goop is inside slowing things down. Syringe warm water down air tube to remove sediment and salt in the tube.cos your skimmer has probably got a blocked nose and constipation!it would be good to open up uv and clean as well

Last edited by glenholmes; 18-09-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Uv
glenholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008   #11
Alwyn

Thanks for the advice Glen, will try exactly what you are describing!! Do you know how to open the UV Sterilizer? I tried a couple of days ago, but cannot get it open I want to take out the UV Sterilizers bulb to encourage more flow into the intake pump.
Old 18-09-2008   #12
hotdog83

Yes, me and my brother (X Faktor) also struggled for a good hour to get the UV sterilizer open, just resorted to giving it a good rinse in the basin, and leaving the bulb in, would also like to know how to open it!
Old 18-09-2008   #13
glenholmes

Would need to see it, but i would rinse it, dry it. Look for any type of lid section that can be twisted or slid off. Spend a bit of time looking for joins that are not glued shut. A kitchen pallet knife is good to investigate this.they must open for bulb replacement
Old 18-09-2008   #14
Alwyn

"they must open for bulb replacement" - You have a good point there Glen... They should be able to open up somehow, without destroying the bulb inside of course Will play around with it tonight or maybe the weekend... Thanks again for all the replies!!
Old 18-09-2008   #15
glenholmes

Ps i have found out that yir tank is also marketed as an orca tl-450 and there are some good articles esp in uk web sites on mods etc
Old 18-09-2008   #16
franscubitt

Alwyn try and take the pump to bits and clean as said around the Shaft. I use a cotton bud, works well.
Skimmers sometimes get salt build up on the small venturi for the air and this blocks.
If you need a new shaft I have some Stainless I use for replacing the shafts.
Give me a shout if you dont come right and ill come give you a hand.
franscubitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008   #17
Mad_Max

Hi,
Do what Glen suggested. I have A Boyu 450 and same happened to me. I took a short cut. When it happend it was due to the air intake being blocked by salt. I blew hard into the intake. Still nothing. Took the little back air regulator off the intake and rubbed the air pipe in between my fingers to remove the salt. Put regulator back, blow some more and Bob's your uncle.

I do this with every week when I do my 10% water change. I noticed since then the skimmer works better. It skimms more wet and the collection cup has tea like water.

Hope it helps.
Mad_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008   #18
spaceboy

I agree... clean the air intake, as well as impellor with some hot RO water and vinegar to help get rid of any deposits/ gunk/ coralline which would negatively impact on the skimmer
Old 19-09-2008   #19
Alwyn

Did not have time last night to attend to the skimmer problem, will tackle it tonight. I'll clean the pump like you suggests Frans, I'll also clean out the airline tubing like you suggest MadMax, thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Thanks for the information Glen, I see one can get quite allot of info on the BOYU by just searching for "ORCA"!! Also thanks Frans for the offer to replace the shafts, really appreciate the gesture!!

Again, thanks for everyone that replied, will put all the suggestions to good work tonight and let you guys know what happened!!
Old 19-09-2008   #20
glenholmes

Went to northerns and asked them about taking uv apart took it out and looked at it. Seems it is lightly glued top and bottom in seams so looks like warm water flush is in,

Tags
boyu , lt450 , skimmer , stopped , working